Humanity by Sulekha

Sunday, August 8, 2011 . 39 comments . Posted in General

I had written a letter to my six-month old daughter, No she wasn’t a miracle baby and read it only after she was old enough to actually read a letter. You know how it is with first-time moms and their expectations and aspirations for their children. My daughter, Shloka is an extremely intelligent, sensitive girl with a heart of gold. She is studying to be a lawyer and is very good at arguing her case especially with me. Although I hadn’t a clue about her beauty and intelligence then, I had just wanted her to be a good human being and that is what I had asked of my tiny daughter. And I am proud to say that she hasn’t let me down, she turned twenty-two years old this July.

She is an animal lover, champion of the underdog and fiercely protective of her siblings and friends. My house was a mini veterinary clinic during her childhood days and we always had a few visitors of different breeds, shapes and sizes staying with us throughout the year. I remember her bringing home a baby turtle, it was so little and so very scared. Shloka put ‘Speedy’, she named him that because he was so fast, in a plastic tub and looked after it for nearly a year but eventually Speedy died. She and her friends had a burial ceremony for Speedy.

Estelle, our stray kitten also lived with us for a couple of months. Our neighbour’s son had found her, injured and abandoned in a drain but his mother had refused to let him keep her in the house. Shloka had worked her magic with me and very soon, we were proud owners of a sad little, hurt kitten. When Estelle died, I dug a grave in our garden in Kochi and we wrapped her in a shawl, put her in and said a prayer for her soul. Shloka used to put flowers on her grave and her friends understood how much it meant to her and did the same, whenever they came to visit.

Now all the strays on Shloka’s college campus know her weakness for the furry kind and are her loyal followers. She has cute names for them like cappuccino, fox, puppy (because he is very small), and GuardDog. She shares her food with them and tries to instil manners in them too by rewarding good behaviour.

I have written about one aspect of humanity and can go on about the other aspects but my friend Nithin will have my head on a platter if I don’t wrap up my article soon, after all I am guest blogging and have to stick to my allotted time and space J. Just kidding, Nithin is a wonderful human being and that’s the reason he chose this topic to write about.

Humans are a complicated lot and though a majority of them are kind, compassionate and considerate of other people’s feelings, there are a few misguided souls who behave in a manner unlike humans. There was a time when people were considerate of their fellow beings feelings and respected their wishes and didn’t invade their space. Now we are so much, in each other’s faces that we lash out in anger at the slightest provocation. There is no tolerance anymore, no patience or consideration for anybody but self. Man has become a beast, a raging, raving lunatic.

We rape, kill in the name of dowry, murder neighbours for petty reasons, kids kill their parents, throw them out of the house in their old age, lie, cheat and commit all sorts of crimes, wage wars with other nations, why? Our human values are compromised. Human values have sunk so low that they are not visible to the common man standing on the ground. If you look below your heels you might find the trampled, bruised humanity silently imploring you to do something to bring it back into the mainstream of our world and to give it its due. Not all is lost and bleak; there are many who keep the torch of goodness burning in the face of adversity. Humanity lives, against all odds…

Sulekha aka Lucks

Blog Link : http://sulekkha.blogspot.com

You’ve shown different sides of humanity because there’s really much to it….Kindness… tenderness…

I love your daughter as I much as I love you…and she is like you in many ways…

Questions do arise as crime against humanity continue to lurk in the world. This doesn’t make so much sense in a world that progresses only intellectually…I think we need to form human beings with hearts… rather than brains…

As we always care how much space we make in posting and commenting, I’m cutting this reflection short…. THANK YOU Sulekha for your insights…:)

2. Portia Burton

Sulekha,you are a great human being!Oh,if we just had more like you!
    -Portia

3. Heena

Loved it a lot, so simple and yet brilliant <3 god bless you and your daughter, and one more thing i loved both of your names <3 keep smiling!
    wishes, Heena!

• sulekha

Heena, I love your name too, it’s so colorful and intricate. Will surely pass on your comment to Shloka too.Thanks

• Heena

Thank you Sulekha for replying, its truly been a pleasure to read your writing and truly loved it a lot and thanks for telling Shloka that i loved her name and may I know what her name means

Loads of love and best wishes,
        Heena

good one … i liked the description on ur daughter… yes, she is one of those torch bearers of the society today where values r degrading … hope u will be the continuous fuel to this lightening torch ! 🙂

5. vandana

very well written , keep it up

6. ferdian

that so cool..i like

7. Manisha Bhatia

Sulekha it has touched my heart! God Bless U!

• sulekha

Manisha, your comment has touched mine, thanks.

Excellent write up Sulekha….that is always expected from you…I can understand Shloka’s love for animals…I live in a mini zoo myself…name it,and its here…Man is subject to innumerable pains and sorrows by the very condition of humanity, and yet, as if nature had not sown evils enough in life, we are continually adding grief to grief and aggravating the common calamity by our cruel treatment of one another.
    Joseph Addison

• sulekha

Alpana, So you will know what I mean by always having an injured bird or animal in the house and the crying spells after the death of the unfortunate pets, jubilation at seeing a healed pigeon flying off to freedom. Thank you for your heartfelt compliments.

9. Diane

Thank you for these wonderful thoughts. Yes, we as humans have forgotten how to treat others with respect. We need to teach our children when they are young how to treat others as we expect them to treat others. I have enjoyed reading what you have said. Thank you

• sulekha

Diane, We sure do need to teach our children to treat everyone with respect. Thank you for reading and commenting.

10. sukanya

firstly love the name ‘Shloka’….so very ethinic and indian. she sounds like a young lady, determined, compassionate and kind. Kudoes to you for raising her. I am sure she is as proud of you as you are of her.

• sulekha

Sukanya, thanks for liking Shloka’s name, I had to fight for it because according to the astrologer her name should begin with K or J 🙂
      She is all those things and more, and I am so very proud of her.

11. Jan

What a wonderful piece of work. I love the stories of your family and the animals, my home was much the same.

• sulekha

Jan, I guess all families are basically the same. Children are so innocent and pure that they embrace all without discrimination. Thanks for the visit and your comment.

12. Bongo

there’s one thing I do ..even in my darkness..there is not one day that I don’t smile at a stranger…my hopes is that stranger passes that smile on and that humanity again loves and there is no more hate…Beautiful post..As always…XOXOXOXO

• sulekha

Bongo, So true, smiling is very contagious and the more happiness we spread, the less negativity is around us. Thank you.

• Cherish

Posts like this birghten up my day. Thanks for taking the time.

13. Kriti

Mitr, I am all set to join your club to give a hand to the trampled upon humanity. I think if each concentrates on being a good human being – soon we will have a world full of the resurrected lot and what a beautiful place that would be.

• sulekha

Kriti, Amen to that. Every individual counts and can make a difference, thanks for the support and encouragement.

you have lighted a different aspect of humanity, Sulekha….. humanity expressed towards animals. they also need the special love, care and protection from the finest intellectual supreme human race.

Sloka has a great soul to touch those neglected portions of humanity. i appreciate her love and kindness that she has shown towards them. we all must think about them the same way.

• sulekha

Sancheeta, Shloka is an enigma and her actions have always made me feel so happy and proud. Animals, especially neglected ones, thrive on love and caring. Thanks for your compliment.

15. Swati Bhattacharya

Indeed Humanity is very complicated, but I guess that’s because we humans are humans huh? 🙂 Lovely piece Lucks…and I love what you wrote about Shloka….I can see myself in her. That’s exactly how I was and still am!!

• sulekha

Swati, This time when Shloka comes home for the holidays, will definitely organize a meet and all my favorite people can get to know one another. Thanks for the reading and the lovely compliment.

16. sulekha

Melissa, thanks a ton for your beautiful compliment. Humanity really is such a versatile topic that we can go on writing about it and still not get enough. My daughter is a better version of me, thanks for loving her too.

17. sulekha

Portia, you are too kind, thanks for reading and for the lovely compliment.

18. sulekha

19. sulekha

Hello Sayanti, I will try my best to do my bit for humanity, thanks for reading and commenting.

20. sulekha

Vandana, I am so happy that you could come here and read my article, thanks a ton

21. sulekha

Ferdian, thanks a lot for the like.

22. rimly

I can just imagine Shloka having all those strays in her campus. A beautiful post Outlier, straight from the heart.

• sulekha

Rimly, You’ve met her and seen how she is with Sparky 🙂 Thank you for your much awaited beautiful compliment. Her laptop has all these pictures of the dogs and cats from campus, it’s a treat watching them.

23. poonam

Hi there, its an excellent piece of work love the way u write about emotions so easily .am sure your daughter is all what you wanted.God bless her.You keep writing .

• sulekha

Poonam, welcome and thanks for the reading and your beautiful comment. Yes, my daughter is one of a kind and I love her to bits 🙂

24. sulekha

Heena,
    Shloka means vedic literature, the mantra in sanskrit.